By: Fairouz Tamer
Have you ever felt lost at some point in your life? This phase where you don’t know what you want to do or who you are. The phase where most of your sensitive & triggering mood swings happen, and you are an emotional wreck. Well well, fear not! You are not alone at all, as almost everyone goes through it. Everyone at some point in their lives gets lost and gets hit by a car(metaphorically). Surprise surprise, Charlie Kelmeckis feels the same way as you too.
Charlie is a freshman. And while he is not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy and intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward. He is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. Furthermore, Charlie suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD. He describes the suicide of his best friend, and the death of his favorite aunt, Helen. Charlie attempted to navigate his way through uncharted territory: The world of first dates and family dramas. Charlie can’t stay on the side and live forever.
Alongside this teenage –perplexing phase, here are some things you need to look through so you can survive this mentally exhausting train station:
- Some people do have it a lot worse than you do. They do.
- Sometimes having a friend is more beautiful than a date.
- Challenge in everything makes it look fresh.
- No one can be your whole world, even your mom.
- You’ ll be mostly so lost and overwhelmed in your freshman year.
- Being a wallflower is just an extraordinary part in the teenage phase.
- Pictures are always less quality of real beauty.
- We are all supposed to think of reasons to live.
- Use small moments for great memories.
- We are in the same circumstances but at different times.
- Beauty is not just the outside; it is present in everything.
- Good and bad days come and go. You better keep the details of good ones.
- People who try to control situations all the time are afraid that if they don’t, nothing will work out the way they want.
- Things tend to get worse before they get better.
- Things change, and friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.
- Sometimes you can’t do anything except “be there.”
- We are all gifted in one way or another.
- A real friend should always be honest.
- You have to show people the real you, so they love you honestly and realistically.
- We are who we are for a lot of reasons, and mostly, we won’t know them.
- We don’t have the power to choose where we come from, but we can still choose where we want to go from there.
This story contains bits and pieces from anybody’s life. It touches on topics like family relationships, friendship, drugs and alcohol, sexuality, and loss. But, what makes this story so comprehensive is that it does not dwell on any topic. It makes it seem real like Charlie could easily be any one of us. It makes it seem like when life gets you down, all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to make you feel infinite.