By: Fairouz Tamer
What if you couldn’t touch anything in the outside world? Never breathe in the fresh air, feel the sun warm your face…or kiss the boy next door? Maddy, a smart, curious and imaginative 18-year-old who due to an illness cannot leave the protection of the hermetically sealed environment within her house, and Olly, the boy next door who won’t let that stop them.
Maddy is desperate to experience the much more intriguing outside world and the promise of her first romance. Gazing through windows and talking only through texts, she and Olly form a deep bond that leads them to risk everything to be together, even if it means losing everything. Love can make you do crazy things.
Moreover, since I am so in love with this book, I read it a thousand times. Here is what this romantic and dramatic novel taught me:
- “Doing anything is a risk, not doing anything is one too. The choice is yours.”
- “Life is a gift. Don’t forget to live it.”
- “Just because you can’t experience everything doesn’t mean you shouldn’t experience anything.”
- “You’re not living if you’re not regretting.”
- “Wanting just leads to more wanting. There’s no end to desire.”
- “There’s more to life than simply existing.”
- “You don’t exist if no one can see you.”
- “Life is hard, honey. Everyone finds their way.”
- “You can find the meaning of life in a book.”
- “Love is worth everything, everything.”
- “Sometimes, words are just not enough.”
- “Sometimes you do things for the right reasons, and sometimes for the wrong ones and sometimes it’s impossible to tell the difference.”
- “The greatest risk is not taking one.”
- “Isn’t growing apart from one another, a part of growing up?”
It’s difficult to live when everything in the world kills you. So find yourself someone like Olly to make things less bad, charmingly bearable.